on being yourself


I've always been a musician. For as long as I can remember.

Before I was born, my parents decided that all of their kids were going to play an instrument. Or two. Or three. Ever since having my first piano lesson at the age of five, telling my mom I wanted to play violin when I was seven, and finally discovering my passion for viola at the age of twelve, music has been in my blood, literally part of me, something I could never live without. All my friends know me as the girl who sings and plays five instruments.

There are so many reasons I started this blog, but I think in some way, I started this blog to get away from that, because I wanted to have a place where I could choose what people knew about me. I didn't want to be known as the viola player who has perfect pitch.

But then, I had an epiphany.

If music is my defining characteristic, and its what I love most, then why on earth would I ever want to hide it? My music is what makes me unique. Its what makes me, well, me.

The world could do with more people who aren't afraid to step outside of what other people are doing and to just be themselves. Be original. Be proud of yourself. Be proud that you are the way you are. Don't hide.

That's what I have to keep telling myself. Because believe me, it is a whole lot easier to just blend in with the crowd. The blogging world is full of amazing people who can put anything into words and who can take incredible pictures to boot.

Writing has never been my strong suit, and I'm not that much better at taking photos. So all that's left for me is be myself. Because if I try to be like everyone else, I will never be anyone special.

That's why I changed my blog motto to Celebrating Beauty and Originality. It is a call to celebrate being yourself.

If you just want to blend in with the crowd, don't. Just don't. God made you the way you were meant to be, and you should be proud of it.

xoxo,
--Abi

2 comments:

  1. your a good blogger

    ReplyDelete
  2. i echo what anon said. this was a positively beautiful post. i am a musician as well, but sadly i only play piano. i've wanted to play violin, and i tried to play on a friend's but i failed. not-so-epically. so, it's just piano and my broken guitar, thanks to my ever-so-aggressive little sister.
    also, i think you're absolutely gorgeous. i don't see many girls with blue eyes and curly blonde hair. usually it's straight. but the curly just suits you. great post :))
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete